Corona Gale, nightly build 3.2.2 Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 3.2.1
- First thousand words! (I don’t know how much I love these thousand words, but still).
- I’ve changed a detail: Kate has now driven to the party, which makes a lot more sense. I’ll have to go back and change that in chapter 2.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.8
- There are going to be two chapters in this book that take on a slightly dreamier nature, and this is the first one. The second, which will happen during a “corona gale” is slated to be chapter 7.
- I’m going for dreamier here because it should be obvious what’s happening. Ollie and Kate are having the fight of their relationship, and there’s a lot of metaphors flying. Writing it as a back and forth dialogue would be a bit tedious. So I’m going into their heads. There will be some dialogue, which I hope looks like bullets.
- I’m optimistic at this point, but I’m also just at the precipice of this chapter. I’m sure there’ll be lots of self loathing as it gets darker later on. Enjoy!
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.7
- I know, I know. I said that last time was going to be the “final” version of chapter 2, but I thought about the ending and wanted to include Ollie in person. The text hits a lot more like a bullet if we actually get to see him. I’ve also, after, some thought, included the content of the text itself. I didn’t want to hold it until the next chapter.
- This is an “end of the chapter” update, so it’s really just the last couple of paragraphs that differ from 2.2.7.
- I didn’t fully realize how chatty chapter 2 was until I read it over again today. Expect a lot less dialogue in chapter 3.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.6
- Chapter 2, at least for now, is in the books (it’s in this book!). The next thing you’ll read here is the first bit of chapter 3.
- It took about twice as long to write chapter 2 as 1. It’s not a trend I want to continue. At this pace, the first draft will be done somewhere around 2022. But that’s a conversation about priorities.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.5
- 1,500 new words, finishing off the “smokers pit” scene in the middle. Leon the sly motivational speaker guy might get beefed up in a later draft, but for now that’s a wrap on him.
- There’ll be one more mini-scene before the argument with Shawn. The next draft should have the linearity tied up. No more ***’s!
- I fear I’m being too cryptic with the nature of the party, the conversations between Kate and all these strangers, and especially the argument with Shawn. How do other “chapter 2’s” deal with this problem? You want to expand the world slightly in situations like this, but you don’t want to give everything away. Anyways, I’m not sure chapter 2 has been a “success” in the same way I felt with chapter 1, where there’s things to go back and fix but it’s pretty much solid.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.4
- Really stretched the definition of “nightly” build with this one, as it’s been about two weeks since the last update. And this isn’t even a whopper of one, either. There’s five hundred new words in the middle section, and only one new sentence in the end with Shawn, bringing the total up to almost 4,000.
- If you just want to read the new bit, it’s between the two sets of ***.
- Still, I have to remind myself that the way a book is written is one word after another. It doesn’t have to be a thousand words at a time. It can’t be. I’ve lost whole months of my life to worrying about getting a thousand words down in a day.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.3
- The new stuff, about 1000 words’ worth, is going to feel like padding. It feels like it to me, anyway, and I might cut the Madelina stuff in a later draft if I feel like it doesn’t pan out. But it’s funny, anyway. It’s not going to be a very funny book in chapters 3-5, so maybe it’s good to keep it here.
- The later stretch is still unchanged from 2.2.2, but expect new alterations there next time.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.2
- Added around 1,200 words, bringing the total up to 2130. What’s new makes up what I think will actually begin the chapter. I’ve placed a *** indicating the gap inbetween the new stuff and what existed before.
- New character! Well, an offscreen mention. Ollie has a bud. Bro. Bro-bud. He’s cool. And ladies, he’s single.
- I’ve got the beginnings of a soundtrack going on Rdio if you want to listen to stuff while reading. Lots of songs about longing, ships, and stabbing people in the eye.
Read more Corona Gale, nightly build 2.2.1
- Cleaned up spelling and spacing issues caused by writing at 6am.
- Added about 200 words. It’s still pretty short, around 1/7th of what the final chapter’s length should be. The conversation that’s happening here between Kate and Shawn may well end up later in the chapter than it currently is.
- Just pumping out backstory here, don’t worry if it’s not making sense at this point. The final chapter itself will be much less confusing. (I hope).
- 700 words, mostly description. I’m not entirely sure where this is going to go in the chapter when it’s done.
- Close readers might get that this isn’t present day, or at least the same time frame as chapter 1.